Recent Blogs

Have you changed your name since your last tax return!

by | Aug 7, 2015 | General

wedding pictureIf you have changed your name since lodging your last tax return, you will need to update the changes separately before you can successfully lodge your current tax return. Previously we were able to change your name on the front page of the tax return, however this will delay the processing of your tax return now. The ATO has had to update its procedures to help protect us against possible identity theft. One of our most valuable assets now is our identity, which we can never be to careful with.

Only you can update you name with the ATO over the phone by quoting details from an ‘identity’ document that the ATO can verify (see list below). Your records will be updated in real time. Alternatively you can update your details on your My Gov Account online.

ATO – Change of details for individual form

The ATO will need documentary evidence before changing your name.

Get it done 

You can phone the ATO on 13 28 61, outside Australia, +61 2 6216 1111 and provide information from your client’s identity document.

Identity documents

Identity documents that can be verified over the phone are:

  • Australian birth certificate (full certificate, not an extract)
  • Australian marriage certificate (except QLD marriage certificates)
  • Australian change of name certificate
  • Australian drivers licence or learners permit
  • Australian Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian visa (using information from your overseas passport)
  • Australian citizenship certificate.

For non-residents and clients who want to update their name themselves, refer to – Updating your details with us

Share This